Empower does not charge overdraft fees because transactions should decline/return if there are insufficient funds. In the case that your external bank charges you an overdraft fee due to a debit attempt made by Empower, we will reimburse the following:
- overdraft fees caused by Cash Advance repayment attempts
- your first overdraft fee caused by a subscription fee debit
- your first overdraft fee caused by an AutoSave debit
Please keep in mind that we will not refund overdraft fees caused by transfers initiated by you in the app.
To receive the reimbursement, please reach out to our team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide proof of the overdraft fee.
Tips to Prevent Overdraft Fees
Review your repayment date when you accept your Cash Advance. If you need to change your repayment date, please make sure to reach out to us at least 3 business days before your scheduled repayment date.
Use the Empower app to track your account balances on all your linked accounts. For example, if you notice that your checking account balance drops below your planned spending, you can transfer money from your savings account or another account to prevent overdraft fees.
Review and make changes to your AutoSave according to your needs:
- On the Accounts tab, tap on the triple-dot menu button in the AutoSave account section
- Tap on "Edit"
- Make changes to update your AutoSave
You can also pause your AutoSave with the toggle to prevent new automatic AutoSave transactions.